Submit to SDB
Sprite Database didn't get to be the mammoth juggernaut of the sprite archiving world that it is with the efforts of one man (although I think I deserve some credit...). Nay, our thousands of quality sprites and other resources have come from a community of loyal viewers like you. If you want to join the ranks of these awesome people, here's what you need to do. Please keep in mind, submissions can only be made through the forums.
How to Submit
- Go to the Spriter's Block, our forums, and register an account.
- Go to the SDB:Submit board.
- Make a topic like "My rips" and include links to your
submission, as well as relevant information.
- That's it! If it's good it'll be put it up on the site as soon
as possible. Isn't life great?
- Don't submit rips you didn't rip yourself.
- Don't submit customs or edits you didn't make yourself.
- And please, don't pretend to be someone else and submit their work.
- Sprites, backgrounds, or any other images submitted should be in PNG or GIF format. NEVER USE JPG.
- Sound files should be WAV or MP3 or any other common formats.
- You can also submit ZIP or RAR files containing some combination of the above.
Label Your Stuff!
- When ripping sprites or anything else, aim for completeness.
- That said, no one can get 100% every time, and even a somewhat-incomplete rip can be useful.
- No blurry or resized rips. Sprites need to retain their original, crispy, pixellated goodness. Look at this chart.
#1 is perfect. Normal size, no blurring.
#2 is at 2x size, but with no blurring. It can be fixed simply by resizing to 50%.
#3 is stretched to an uneven proportion which has also blurred it. It can't be fixed.
#4 has been saved as a .JPG. From a distance it looks fine, but the JPG format has blurred the image. There's no way to reverse this unfortunately.
- Tell me what the submission is (character's name, or at least "Player 1") - if I have nothing to go on I'll have to make something up!
- The exact title of the game; if it's already on SDB use that title.
- What console/platform the game is from. With some multiplatform games it can be hard to tell versions apart.
- Example: Tarma from "Metal Slug 3" for Neo-Geo.
Customs & Edits
We also accept custom and edited sprites of popular characters. The above guideines for rips mostly apply for these as well, but keep in mind that customs and edits will be judged a little more subjectively.
Quality is more important than quantity ( number of frames / animations) but single sprites or pixel art are not accepted.
Obviously you should only submit recognizable characters from recognizable series (games, cartoons, comics, anime, movies, etc.) Generic things like props or effects are also acceptable. No original characters please!